Following their pregnancies, it is rumored that Gisele Bundchen, Jennifer Lopez, and Kate Middleton all followed the France based Dukan Diet weight loss plan. In many parts of Europe, the diet created by namesake Dr. Pierre Dukan is the top weight loss plan attracting women of all sizes, ages, and shapes and helping them take off, and keep off, their excess weight. It has earned the nickname the “I do not know how to lose weight” diet plan.
Click Here to try this Diet
Basic Background Information
After more than two decades of research, Dr. Dukan published the book outlining the Dukan Diet in 2000 from his headquarters in Paris, France. Since then, the international phenomenon has branched out to include online coaching. At its most basic, the diet is high protein, low carbohydrate, and low glycemic index and geared toward helping both men and women.
The kinds of carbohydrates and proteins you can consume are cycled in the four precise phases of the Dukan Diet. This cycling will allow you to trick your metabolism into becoming an efficient calorie burning machine while dipping into your fat stores for energy.
Low glycemic vegetables like radishes, bell peppers, celery, lettuce, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, and spinach are among the few starchy carbs allowed. You are also encouraged to consume oat bran every day. In many of the Dukan Diet recipes, oat bran is a staple ingredient. The four cycles break down like this:
Dr. Dukan explains the Attack Phase of the Dukan Diet
– You are only allowed eggs; very lean beef, skinless turkey and chicken, and veal; fat free dairy products; and shellfish and fish. Good options for dairy are plain yogurt and fat free Greek yogurt. You are also required to drink lots of water. This phases lasts for ten days at most.
Dr. Dukan explains the Cruise Phase of the Dukan Diet
– You cycle back and forth in alternating five day cycles between eating only protein and eating non-starchy vegetables and protein in this phase. Again, lots of fresh water is needed and no oil or butter can be used. Until your goal weight is attained, you must follow this phase.
Explanation of the Consolidation Phase from Dr. Dukan
– Each day, two slices of whole wheat bread, one and a half ounces of cheese, and one serving of fruit are allowed. You are allowed to eat two five-ounce servings of rice, potatoes, or other starches two times per week. You can eat a cheat meal that includes dessert and wine twice a week as well. You can only consume proteins the day after these cheat meals. This phase lasts eight days for every pound lost.
Stabilization Phase of the Dukan Diet
– One day of the week is devoted to eating only protein. Otherwise, you can eat normally.
Specifics of the Dukan Diet
You can get the Dukan Diet book and potentially succeed in your weight loss program. However, if you want to ensure your success, the Dukan Coaching is key. There are a variety of benefits to the personalized coaching program:
Daily Motivation Instructions
– To help keep your motivation h2 throughout your diet, you receive instructions each day. Based on your reporting from the previous day, the instructions are customized for you.
Daily Chat and Community Support
– Get connected and get tips for travel and dining out or share recipes. Get your questions answered when you join other Dukan Dieters on the daily live chat.
Personalized Daily Exercise Instructions
– You can further boost your weight loss with daily exercise instructions that include both optional and mandatory exercises.
Hundreds of Daily Menus and Recipes
– For all meals, there are daily menus that include simple and gourmet recipes for snacks, appetizers, desserts, and entrees for all phases.
Access to Nutritionists and a Support Team
– Using the live chat feature or email, you can ask questions of the Dukan Diet’s Head Nutritionist and Support Team.
As with any weight loss system, there are aspects that will work great for some people and not so well for others. Below are some of the benefits to the Dukan Diet that seem to appeal to just about everyone:
- A slowed metabolism can be jump started by this diet
- There is a daily exercise plan included
- Weight loss will occur
As stated above, there are always aspects of diet plans that do not work for some individuals. If there was an easy solution that worked for everyone, we would all be skinny! There are a few downfalls with the Dukan Diet.
Many consider the Dukan Diet to just be a fad diet. For those of you who have trouble taking criticism from people who like to make fun of fad diets, this can make your experience hard. Of course, all new diets were called fad diets in the beginning. And, over time, they showed that their true worth.
You could potentially regain the weight you lose due to the strict guidelines of the Dukan Diet. As with any program for losing weight, there is a level of willpower that is needed. Willpower is like a muscle, and you will develop better willpower as you continue on the diet.
During the first phase of the diet, many have experienced increased lethargy and moodiness. This is pretty common whenever one needs to give up the unhealthy foods they have grown to depend upon. If you are at risk of electrolyte imbalances, you should consult a doctor before starting the Dukan Diet, since it may be dangerous for you.
The Dukan Diet has been around for well over a decade now, so there are many people who have followed the diet successfully. Here are some stories from people who have actually been on the diet for a significant amount of time:
“If you do not drink enough water, constipation and kidney stones could be a side effect with the Dukan Diet. You should drink at least half a gallon of water every day. I have been on the diet for six months now, and after a couple rough weeks at the start, I now feel better than I ever have in my life. Plus, I have lost 45 pounds. Now, the smell of fatty foods makes me feel sick.” –Jane in Happy Valley, Penn.
“I love the Dukan Diet. Within a year, I lost 70 pounds, and I have kept the weight off for about a year now. I never felt like I was missing out on certain foods because the scale showed me I was accomplishing my weight loss goals. Plus, there is an online community to provide added support. The only downfall is that I cannot eat carbs without gaining weight. So, I have had to cut them out.” –Lorna in Plano, TX
“So far, I have had a lot of success with the Dukan Diet. I have been on it for almost two months now, and I have never felt like I was starving or that I have had to make much of an effort. I have lost 25 pounds. I should not that I have been doing hard workouts in addition to the diet, so not everyone will lose weight as fast as me. However, this has been the first diet I have been able to stick with for this long.” –Alexander in Naples, FL
We do not have enough room in this review to include many recipes, so we have chosen one of our favorites, which is representative of the types of meals you can expect to have as part of the Dukan Diet: Rosemary Beef Burgers with Dill and Paprika Dip.
For two people you need for the burgers:
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 whole egg
- 4 tbsp oat bran in the Cruise Phase, 3 tbsp in the Attack Phase
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Ground black pepper for taste
For the dip:
- 1 cup fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried dill
- Mix all of the dip ingredients in a bowl, cover, and put in the refrigerator
- Mix all of the burger ingredients in a bowl or food processor
- Use your hands to shape the burger mixture into ten small burger portions
- Heat griddle pan over high heat until very hot (about five minutes)
- Cook burgers on the griddle pan until they are cooked through
- Serve hot with the dip
The Dukan Diet weight loss plan is high protein with cycles that allow for variety and keep you from getting bored with the selection. Included in this protein based diet are allowances for carbohydrates that change in quantities, frequencies, and kinds.
Many celebrities and much of Europe are already in love with this diet. It has grown in popularity due to its capacity to help you lose weight quickly and because the process’s guidelines are clear and easy to follow. We h2ly recommend it to those who want to lose a lot of weight with a simple method in a short amount of time.
Click Here to try this Diet
The official website for the Dukan Diet
Frequently asked questions about the Dukan Diet
How to contact the Dukan Diet